[Rd] yet another fast BLAS (from AMD this time)

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Mar 25 21:36:19 CET 2004

OK, I manage to compile R-1.9.0alpha (2004-03-16) with the ACML.  It's
rather easy:

- Install ACML.  I installed in the default place (/opt/acml-1.5).
- This didn't work:  ./configure --with-blas="-L/opt/acml-1.5/gnu64/lib
-lacml"
- Make symlink for libacml.so in /usr/local/lib.
- This worked: ./configure --with-blas="-lacml".

It passed make check, whereas the build with Goto's BLAS failed on this box,
as I reported previously.

Using a couple of examples that Prof. Dalgaard used previously in his post:

> set.seed(1234)
> m <- matrix(rnorm(9e6),3e3)

[with ACML]
system> system.time(solve(m))
[1] 28.58  0.98 31.99  0.00  0.00
> system.time(m %*% m)
[1] 18.73  0.19 20.25  0.00  0.00
> system.time(crossprod(m))
[1] 13.40  3.02 17.66  0.00  0.00

[standard BLAS]
> system.time(solve(m))
[1] 165.43   0.86 179.47   0.00   0.00
> system.time(m %*% m)
[1] 164.35   0.08 164.43   0.00   0.00
system.time(cr> system.time(crossprod(m))
[1] 79.36  0.11 85.53  0.00  0.00

I have not check the docs, but my guess is that the library is not threaded.
BTW, this is on dual Opteron 244 with 16GB of PC2100 and ATA100 EIDE HDD.

Best,
Andy