[Rd] Distributed computing

Timothy H. Keitt tkeitt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 23 22:08:21 CET 2004

My inclination would be to, whenever possible, replace the core scalar
libraries with compatible parallel versions (lapack -> scalapack),
rather than make it an add-on package. If the R client code is general
enough, and the make file can automatically find the parallel version,
then its a simple matter of compiling with the parallel libs. (Don't
know if this is possible at run-time.) No rewriting (high level) R code
at all. I tried to contact the plapack folks here at UT about
integrating with R, but it appears the project is no longer active.

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Section of Integrative Biology