[Rd] Distributed computing

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Mar 23 20:32:51 CET 2004

gte810u at mail.gatech.edu writes:

>> does anyone know if there exists an effort to bring some kind of
>> distributed computing to R? The most simple functionality I'm after is
>> to be able to explicitly perform a task on a computing server. Sorry if
>> this is a non-informed newbie question...
>
> As an alternate to the PVM/MPI interfaces mentioned by other people, I am
> working on a (very soon to be released) project for using the ScaLAPACK library
> [1] through a simple R interface.  If the tasks that you want run an a computing
> server are simple (LAPACK) functions (solve, svd, etc) and not whole R scripts,
> then this be useful.

A number of folks have commented on having this in progress (esp a
group at Vanderbilt).  It's intriguing, but how did you plan on
replacing the standard system-level library calls?  (or did you just
provide new interfaces at the user (R command) level?)

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}