[Rd] Packages of snippets? (was: A way to list only variables or functions?)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Jun 24 13:12:31 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:51:23 -0400 (EDT), "Gabor Grothendieck"
<ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote:

>From:   Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch at pair.com>
>
>>I do understand the feeling of
>>writing a nice little function, and not knowing exactly what to do
>>with it: CRAN is crowded, and it does seem that an entire package
>>just to support one or two simple functions is a bit of overkill.
>
>>Can we work out a way to publish such things? Here's a
>>proposal, with some serious flaws listed below.
>>Can someone fix them?
>
>This would be a good job for a wiki.  The key advantage is it
>requires minimal maintenance.

I think a wiki would be fine for making the snippets available, but
code maintenance is essential.  That's why CRAN is more useful than
Statlib:  it has active maintainers who enforce documentation
standards and try to make sure that if you install a CRAN package in a
current version of R it will work properly.

Duncan Murdoch