[Rd] Cannot Restore Workspace with R 1.9.1 (PR#7012)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 10:46:15 CEST 2004

This has recently been discussed in R-help with several workarounds. See
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-June/051531.html
and the rest of the thread.

Yet another workaround is

R --vanilla
> load(".RData")

It is not a bug in R, and it is not new in 1.9.1 (the person who reported
problems was using prior to release of 1.9.1).  A more permanent
workaround will appear in the next update of the VR bundle.  AFAICS the
problem reported by Roland Reis is actually in nlme, which manages to
require MASS, grid, lattice and nlme namespaces to reload a glmmPQL object
(via the environment of some embedded formula).

Please don't use R-bugs to ask questions -- see the R FAQ and the posting
guide for the correct places.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 stefan.albrecht at allianz.com wrote:

> Full_Name: Stefan Albrecht
> Version: 1.9.1
> OS: Windows NT 4.0
> Submission from: (NULL) (194.127.2.73)
>

> Hi  all,
>
> upgrading to R 1.9.1 I am no longer able to restore saved data in .RData with
> after some involved data manipulations and calculations (fatal error!).
> In addition I get the message
> Error: object 'family' not found whilst loading namespace 'MASS'.
>
> This problem does not occur with R 1.9.0 or if I just make some easier
> calculations with R 1.9.1.
>
> Is there any way to analyse the problem more closely and come around it?

Yes. See the R-help archives.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk