[Rd] debugging strange segfault

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:43:33 MET 2004

The symptom is that of the compiled code overrunning the storage it was
allocated.  I tracked down an instance (in SuppDists) yesterday and have
seen quite a few in my time.

I would expect you to find a write to memory off one or other end of an
array, and compiling with bounds checking in place *may* help.  (g77 is
less useful than some commercial Fortran compilers at this, and some
people write code that cannot be checked.)

Increasing some storage areas for output arrays will often make the
problem go away, but it is not actually a solution since it may just
relocate an illegal write to a non-fatal place.

Hope that helps enough,

Brian