[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 25 15:39:27 MET 2004

    Chris> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
    >> Chris Jackson <chris.jackson at imperial.ac.uk> writes:
    >>
    >>> editor.   I think it would be a good selling point if the equivalent
    >>> existed for R, without the need to use an external editor (or a hack
    >>> in Tcl/Tk).
    >>>

    >> Why is that a "hack"? I really must object.
    >>
    >> Tcl/Tk is a GUI framework with a text editing widget which can be
    >> trivially used for this kind of purpose (the same is likely true for
    >> other GUI frameworks like GTk).

    Chris> Sorry, wrong choice of word - no disrespect meant to
    Chris> the work you've done with R-Tcl/Tk.  I think I meant
    Chris> more "grafted-on".  Rgui itself is not written in
    Chris> Tcl/Tk - so to require installing a whole new GUI
    Chris> framework for such a fundamental task as editing R
    Chris> code seems a somewhat over-the-top solution.

you would be right iff ....

- AFAIK you can't easily have a newer version of R for windows
  without tcltk -- hence it's there anyway
- the Bioconductor project (and others as well, notably John
  Fox' R Cmdr) have extended on the basic tcltk functionality
  for many GUI tasks.

tcltk (or Gtk !) have the big advantage of working cross-platform.
This is a very important point since it eases maintainability,
documentation, teaching, .... and development considerably.

    Chris> Rather the strength of Tcl/Tk seems more for building your
    Chris> own customised GUIs.  R for Gnome, on the other hand,
    Chris> is written in gtk, but I've never used this so I
    Chris> don't know about its editing capability.

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><