[Rd] legend's arguments "angle" and "density"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 20 19:13:56 CEST 2004

    UweL> Paul Murrell wrote [on 2002-03-14 with Subject: "filled bars with
    UweL> patterns" in reply to Arne Mueller]

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> I'd also like to have the filled boxes in the legend to be striped. The
    >>> legend function has a 'density' attribute, but unfortunately this does't
    >>> seem to do anything
    >>>
    >>> following the above example
    >>>
    >>> legend(3.4, 5, c('Axx','Bxx','Cxx','Dxx'), fill = c('red', 'blue',
    >>> 'green', 'orange'))
    >>>
    >>> is the same as
    >>>
    >>> legend(3.4, 5, c('Axx','Bxx','Cxx','Dxx'), density=10, fill = c('red',
    >>> 'blue', 'green', 'orange'),
    >>> density=c(10,-1,20, 200))
    >>

    >> This appears to be a bug.  Can you file a bug report for this please?

    UweL> [SNIP; I cannot find any related bug report in the repository]

    UweL> I'm just reviewing bug reports and other stuff re. legend() and found
    UweL> this old message in one of my Next-Week-To-Do-folders.

    UweL> Well, the point mentioned above is not really a bug, because one has to
    UweL> specify BOTH arguments, angle AND density in legend(). Is there any
    UweL> point not to make angle = 45 the default, as it already is for polygon()
    UweL> and rect()?

This seems like a good idea,
but we'll wait for your many other patches to legend.R and
legend.Rd   :-)

Martin