[Rd] legend's arguments "angle" and "density"

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Aug 20 17:01:13 CEST 2004

Paul Murrell wrote [on 2002-03-14 with Subject: "filled bars with
patterns" in reply to Arne Mueller]

> Hi
>
> <snip>
>
>>I'd also like to have the filled boxes in the legend to be striped. The
>>legend function has a 'density' attribute, but unfortunately this does't
>>seem to do anything
>>
>>following the above example
>>
>>legend(3.4, 5, c('Axx','Bxx','Cxx','Dxx'), fill = c('red', 'blue',
>>'green', 'orange'))
>>
>>is the same as
>>
>> legend(3.4, 5, c('Axx','Bxx','Cxx','Dxx'), density=10, fill = c('red',
>>'blue', 'green', 'orange'),
>>      density=c(10,-1,20, 200))
>

> This appears to be a bug.  Can you file a bug report for this please?

[SNIP; I cannot find any related bug report in the repository]

I'm just reviewing bug reports and other stuff re. legend() and found
this old message in one of my Next-Week-To-Do-folders.

Well, the point mentioned above is not really a bug, because one has to
specify BOTH arguments, angle AND density in legend(). Is there any
point not to make angle = 45 the default, as it already is for polygon()
and rect()?

Uwe Ligges