[Rd] trellis.device in .First (PR#6812)

rmh at temple.edu rmh at temple.edu
Fri Apr 23 04:09:35 CEST 2004

This is a start of R 1.9.0 in a directory without .RData

> options(STERM='iESS', editor='gnuclient.exe')
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"       "package:methods"  "package:stats"    "package:graphics"
[5] "package:utils"    "Autoloads"        "package:base"
> find(windows)
[1] "package:graphics"

This makes me think that the .First is being processed before some of the other
initializations.  I had been assuming it is the very last thing done before it gives me
control.

This introduces a new problem---both 1.9.0 and 1.8.1.
I did --vanilla as you suggested, in a directory without an existing .RData

/cygdrive/c/HOME/tmp$ Rterm --vanilla

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 1.9.0  (2004-04-12), ISBN 3-900051-00-3

'citation()' on how to cite R in publications.

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> date()
date()
[1] "Thu Apr 22 21:52:14 2004"
> ls()
ls()
character(0)
> nonsense
nonsense
Error: Object "nonsense" not found
Execution halted
/cygdrive/c/HOME/tmp$

When I manually start the trellis.device, after a version of my .First that doesn't
start it for me, I get this
> .Device
[1] "windows"

on the q() issue, I report it as a continuation of behavior that has been discussed
on this list.  I don't remember when.  It has been an issue for me for a long time.
I am currently on XP HOME, I see this also on NT4.

I normally type just q()
This time I tried q("no").

It still freezes. I have to enter C-G to unfreeze emacs and then use the Task Manager
to kill the Rterm process.

Rich