[Rd] building XML-0.95-1 on MacOS

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 9 08:42:09 MEST 2003

1. Just download the package and unpack it.
2. Use R INSTALL until it breaks
3. Then go to the src directory and give the gcc command below with
-Xlinker -m
4. Then use R INSTALL again

There are not two definitions associated with the same symbol after
linking. This
unpleasant hack uses the definition in Utils.o, as intended.  This
situation will
persist until either Duncan puts this fix into XML or until Stefano
decides to go
with two-level namespaces for Darwin/Aqua R packages.

On Oct 9, 2003, at 7:22, Sean Davis wrote:

> I am trying to build the XML package on MacOS.  I am using the fink
> installation of libxml-1.8.17.  The configuration information is:
>
> Configuration information:
>
> Libxml settings
>
> libxml include directory: /sw/include/gnome-xml
> libxml library directory: -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml
> libxml 2:                 no
>
> Compilation flags:         -I/sw/include/gnome-xml
> -I/sw/include/gnome-xml/libxml -DLIBXML -I/sw/include/gnome-xml
> Link flags:               -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml
>

> Compiling produced the following error:
> gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/sw/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -o XML.so DocParse.o EventParse.o ExpatParse.o
> HTMLParse.o RSDTD.o RUtils.o Utils.o XMLEventParse.o XMLTree.o
> -L/sw/lib -lxml -lz -lz  -lxml -lcc_dynamic
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol _xmlParserError
> Utils.o definition of _xmlParserError in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /sw/lib/libxml.dylib(error.lo) definition of _xmlParserError
> make: *** [XML.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'XML'
>
> I saw that back in September there was a discussion about fixing this
> problem that involved passing -m to the linker.  My questions are (1)
> what do I need to modify (given that I am using R INSTALL to keep
> things simple for myself) to use the -Xlinker -m option when linking
> XML.so and (2) does this actually work despite the fact that there are
> then two definitions associated with the same symbol?  I guess a third
> question follows from the second--are there other fixes that I can use
> to build the package?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sean

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu