[Rd] order of package loading and printing messages to console on startup

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 07:47:11 MET 2003

What's changed is when the introductory message is printed, not when code
in .Rprofile is run:

revision 1.118
date: 2003/02/26 15:51:17;  author: pd;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -6
RNG change + delayed greeting

So it was intentional, but Peter D will have to explain why (as I wasn't
paying attention).

The profiles are run quite early (before the default packages are loaded)
and I think it is preferable to use .First to load packages (now the
system no longer makes use of it for that purpose).

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Roger Peng wrote:

> Recently in R-devel, I've noticed that when I start up R, code in
> .Rprofile (in the working directory) gets sourced but any messages printed
> out by that code (e.g. by `cat') are printed *before* the introductory
> statement about R.

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk