[Rd] System slow down (PR#3668)

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Aug 6 11:39:01 MEST 2003

In addition to Prof. Ripley's suggestion:

1. Specifically as it pertains to anti-virus software, if you are using
any, be sure that it is checking only executables and not "all" files.
The latter setting, under McAfee for example, can slow system
performance down notably. Presumably there is a similar setting under
Norton and others.

2. If you are using any type of firewall program (ie. ZoneAlarm),
consider un-installing it completely, re-booting and re-installing.
There have been problems noted with some of these programs after a time,
where system performance can slow.

3. If you recently installed any WinXP service pack updates and or
security updates, there are well known and MS acknowledged system slow
downs with some of them under certain circumstances. Please review the
following:

The following is a rather rare scenario, but can also result in system
slow downs:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815411

HTH,

Marc Schwartz