[Rd] Kinderman-Ramage (PR#2846)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 25 15:37:58 MEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Unfortunately it was the default prior to 1.7.0, so for reproducibility I
> think we can't change this.  We could add a new option, a corrected
> version, but is it worth it?  I would definitely add a warning if the
> buggy version was selected, and perhaps make it an error to select it via
> RNGkind (rather than RNGversion or a saved .Random.seed).

Argh...

We do normally correct errors leading to incorrect values. I mean, if
we found a bug in qnorm() we wouldn't hesitate to fix it even if
though it affects the Inversion RNG, would we?

How about this: Keep the old generator, but call it "K-R-bug" or so.
Fix the real K-R. Make K-R-bug the version set by RNGversion. One or
more of the methods to set it will generate warnings.