RODBC patchlet

Dirk Eddelbuettel
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:40:58 -0600

[ Disclaimer: Yes, I do know that RODBC is in a state of minor limbo as far
as maintenance is concerned. But it is also useful, and used, which is why I
hope that someone might apply the small change outlined below. ]

The current version in CRAN's devel directories fails to build under R 1.6.1
(beta from Oct 27):

chibud:/home/edd/RODBC# R CMD INSTALL .
* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for library containing SQLTables... -lodbc
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating src/Makevars
** libs
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include   -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -mieee-fp  -fPIC  -g -O2 -c RODBC.c -o RODBC.o
RODBC.c:22: parse error
make: *** [RODBC.o] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'RODBC'

My quick solution was to #ifdef the following block of RODBC.c away:

#if 0
#if R_VERSION < R_Version(1, 2, 0)
# define STRING_ELT(x,i)        (STRING(x)[i])
# define VECTOR_ELT(x,i)        (VECTOR(x)[i])
# define SET_STRING_ELT(x,i,v)  (STRING(x)[i] = (v))
# define SET_VECTOR_ELT(x,i,v)  (VECTOR(x)[i] = (v))

I'm sure there is a nicer solution, but it is immediately apparent to me. The
gcc version which puked is 2.95.4 as in Debian testing.

The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology
look respectable.                    -- John Kenneth Galbraith
r-devel mailing list -- Read
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: