[Rd] bug in options() - help page (PR#1323)

o.christensen@lancaster.ac.uk o.christensen@lancaster.ac.uk
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:57:14 +0100 (MET)

Dear R-developers

There is a discrepancy between the variables found by typing
names(options()) and the variables described on the help page for the
function ``options''.

The following variables are in names(options()) but not described on the
help page :

Since options() is part of ``base R'' and the homepage claims that the
options described there are the only options used by ``base R'', this
may be considered as a

The following variables are described on the help
page, but are not in names(options()):

I had a problem with the option ``show.error.messages'' which may be
related to this option not being in names(options()) (I do not claim to
understand how options() really work).
Reporting and checking a problem with ``show.error.messages'' is
actually confusing, since this option changes the printed output from
errors. Here is the problem and my comments on the output (consider
starting a fresh R session).

stop("test - err. mess. printed ")
## prints error mesage, unless ``show.error.messages=FALSE''
op <- options()
stop("test - err. mess. printed ")
## as expected, nothing is printed
stop("test - err. mess. printed ")
## Reseting the options, we expect to see the print. Nothing is printed

My temporary solution to the problem was to include

in my .Rprofile file

>  version
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686