[Rd] Samples of external code with various compilers?

Mark.Bravington@csiro.au Mark.Bravington@csiro.au
Tue Dec 3 00:02:03 2002

I can remember hitting several issues with Delphi, that might be applicable
to other languages too. From simple to complicated (in Delphi), these are:

how to write a DLL and export procedures (easy).

how to declare parameters (VAR or pointers to arrays; pretty simple).

how arrays of >1 dimension map to R arrays (easy).

what call mode to use for procedures (i.e. stack order and removal of
parameters; I had always used STDCALL with S and R, and then found I was
getting bugs with R 1.6.1. So in desperation I eventually changed this at
random to C-CALL, and things started working again in R-- and continued to
work in S. To my continued puzzlement, actually.)

how to handle & return character strings (The only way I've found to return
a string of unknown length, was to call a Delphi function twice; the first
time it merely returns the number of characters in the string. Then create a
string of spaces of the correct length in R, and explicitly put that string
in a .C call to the Delphi function, which this time can fill in the actual
characters.)

how to get the Delphi debugger to work on a DLL being called by R. This is
incredibly easy in S but rather difficult in R, because of a quirk to do
with starting directories.

Then there are one or two tricks I've sometimes used: e.g. how to return a
Delphi pointer to R so that a "persistent" Delphi object can be created with
one call to a Delphi function from R, then accessed again on a subsequent
call. Useful even with simple things like returning a string, and essential
with really complex structures. All languages will have their own tricks,
which are well worth some informal documentation somewhere.

And then there is the business of turning the R headers into Delphi
equivalents-- a work in progress.

cheers
Mark

Mark Bravington