[Rd] postscript problem (PR#1147)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk
26 Oct 2001 23:48:04 +0200

Peter Kleiweg <kleiweg@let.rug.nl> writes:

> kjetilh@umsanet.edu.bo scribeva...
> > I reported this earlier, and have got reports that others have the same
> > promlem on UNIX machines, so it is not only a windows problem
> > S I file a bug report.
> >
> > The function (boot.stat) given at the end produces a postscript file,
> > which cannot be included correctly in LaTeX. Specifically,
> > the image in LaTeX (when translated by dvips to postscript)
> > becomes very small, not using the bounding box, and turned on its head!
> I tested this. There is definitely something wrong with the
> PostScript output. The first command that is called that does
> something in the graphics state is 'cl', and this command starts
> with a 'grestore'. So, there is a call to 'grestore' in the
> PostScipt file that was not preceeded by a call to 'gsave'. The
> result is the undoing of a 'gsave' in the embedding code.
> I compared the PostScript code to the code that was generated
> with another graphic that didn't cause any problemns. Seems that
> what is missing in the defective code is a call to 'bp' at the
> start. Inserting this command before the first call to 'cl'
> fixes the problem.
> Why 'bp' is missing is something someone else should figure out.

Thanks for the analysis. For debugging, the following minimal example
may be helpful

function () 
    split.screen(c(1, 2))

notice that it will not happen unless you plot to the screen first.

   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3  
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N   
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
r-devel mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-devel-request@stat.math.ethz.ch