[Rd] Re: Download problems with Windows version

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:56:06 +0100

  > Hello,
  > I tried to download the Windows version of R at the cran site,
  > but I cannot get down to the files. When clicking on the on
  > any of the windows sources, you create strange links:

  > http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/windows-NT

  > then, clicking again it becomes

  > http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/windows-NT/windows-NT

  > and so on ...

  > The same happens at the mirror site at ETH Zurich. I use IE 5.5.

  > The links to windows-9x and windows-NT on the CRAN Windows download page
  > seem to be broken. I have the impression that the files are all in the
  > base directory, for which the link works.

  > Also, the ReadMe.rw1022 makes no mention of the file rw1022wh.zip.

These are recursive links for backwards compatibilty, and have been in
place for a couple of months now. Simply go to

for the base sytem or contributed packages, respectively.

Older versions of R expect to find the contributed packages in

and removing the links would break install.packages() there. I'll add
some message in the directory to make things clearer.

                        Friedrich  Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch