[Rd] R INSTALL *.tgz fails (minor docs/feature bug) (PR#652)

Thomas Lumley thomas@biostat.washington.edu
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 bobbyo@speakeasy.org wrote:

> R Team,
> 	I was attempting to install Lindsey's rmutil.tgz and other
> non-CRAN packages using 'R INSTALL', for example 'R INSTALL rmutil.tgz'
> after downloading 'rmutil.tgz' from Lindsey's page (as linked from
> r-project.org page).
> 	Directly using the compressed file as 'R INSTALL rmutil.tgz'
> failed, though the shell help from 'R INSTALL --help' implied this would
> work.
> 	However, when I simply renamed using 'mv rmutil.tgz rmutil' and
> then ran 'R INSTALL rmutil', that worked.
> 	Adding a note to rename the .tgz files without the .tgz
> extension, or changing R INSTALL to allow filename extensions when
> installing would be a nice ease-of-use feature.
> 	(by the way, I was able to use R INSTALL rmutil if I unpacked
> rmutil using 'cat rmutil.tgz | tar xvz' and then ran 'R INSTALL rmutil'.)

R INSTALL is somewhat fussy about package format when used on compressed
files. I don't think Jim Lindsey's packages have ever installed without
uncompressing first. I have had the same thing happen with local packages
of functions I've created for convenience.

Fortunately it's fairly painless to uncompress them.

Thomas Lumley
Assistant Professor, Biostatistics
University of Washington, Seattle