R 3.4.2 is released
pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:07:57 CEST 2017
The build system rolled up R-3.4.2.tar.gz (codename "Short Summer") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the checksums (md5 and SHA-256) for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = f12a9c3881197b20b08dd3d1f9d005e6
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = 8c65d9a0af345a185d3770c9876f1d51
MD5 (INSTALL) = 7893f754308ca31f1ccf62055090ad7b
MD5 (NEWS) = cb4138554f53e2653b2aa0ba639284a2
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 71562183d75dd2080d86c42bbf733bb7
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = 1cd6d37850188e7f190f1eb94a24ca1f
MD5 (README) = f468f281c919665e276a1b691decbbe6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = 529223fd3ffef95731d0a87353108435
MD5 (THANKS) = f60d286bb7294cef00cb0eed4052a66f
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = 374ac20771d06d2d92646e0b3ad2471b
MD5 (R-3/R-3.4.2.tar.gz) = 1cd6d37850188e7f190f1eb94a24ca1f
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 3.4.2:
* Setting the LC_ALL category in Sys.setlocale() invalidates any
cached locale-specific day/month names and the AM/PM indicator
for strptime() (as setting LC_TIME has since R 3.1.0).
* The version of LAPACK included in the sources has been updated to
3.7.1, a bug-fix release.
* The default for tools::write_PACKAGES(rds_compress=) has been
changed to "xz" to match the compression used by CRAN.
* c() and unlist() are now more efficient in constructing the
names(.) of their return value, thanks to a proposal by Suharto
* R CMD check checks for and R CMD build corrects CRLF line endings
in shell scripts configure and cleanup (even on Windows).
INSTALLATION on a UNIX-ALIKE:
* The order of selection of OpenMP flags has been changed: Oracle
Developer Studio 12.5 accepts -fopenmp and -xopenmp but only the
latter enables OpenMP so it is now tried first.
* within(List, rm(x1, x2)) works correctly again, including when
List[["x2"]] is NULL.
* regexec(pattern, text, *) now applies as.character(.) to its
first two arguments, as documented.
* write.table() and related functions, writeLines(), and perhaps
other functions writing text to connections did not signal errors
when the writes failed, e.g. due to a disk being full. Errors
will now be signalled if detected during the write, warnings if
detected when the connection is closed. (PR#17243)
* rt() assumed the ncp parameter was a scalar. (PR#17306)
* menu(choices) with more than 10 choices which easily fit into one
getOption("width")-line no longer erroneously repeats choices.
* length()<- on a pairlist succeeds. (<URL:
* Language objects such as quote(("\n")) or R functions are
correctly printed again, where R 3.4.1 accidentally duplicated
* Construction of names() for very large objects in c() and
unlist() now works, thanks to Suharto Anggono's patch proposals
* Resource leaks (and similar) reported by Steve Grubb fixed.
(PR#17314, PR#17316, PR#17317, PR#17318, PR#17319, PR#17320)
* model.matrix(~1, mf) now gets the row names from mf also when
they differ from 1:nrow(mf), fixing PR#14992 thanks to the
suggestion by Sebastian Meyer.
* sigma(fm) now takes the correct denominator degrees of freedom
for a fitted model with NA coefficients. (PR#17313)
* hist(x, "FD") no longer "dies" with a somewhat cryptic error
message when x has extreme outliers or IQR() zero: nclass.FD(x)
tries harder to find a robust bin width h in the latter case, and
hist.default(*, breaks) now checks and corrects a too large
breaks number. (PR#17274)
* callNextMethod() works for ... methods.
* qr.coef(qd, y) now has correct names also when qd is a complex QR
or stems from qr(*, LAPACK=TRUE).
* Setting options(device = *) to an invalid function no longer
segfaults when plotting is initiated. (PR#15883)
* encodeString(<very large string>) no longer segfaults.
* It is again possible to use configure --enable-maintainer-mode
without having installed notangle (it was required in R
* S4 method dispatch on ... calls the method by name instead of
.Method (for consistency with default dispatch), and only
attempts to pass non-missing arguments from the generic.
* readRDS(textConnection(.)) works again. (PR#17325)
* (1:n)[-n] no longer segfaults for n <- 2.2e9 (on a platform with
* x <- 1:2; tapply(x, list(x, x), function(x) "")[1,2] now
correctly returns NA. (PR#17333)
* Running of finalizers after explicit GC request moved from the R
interface do_gc to the C interface R_gc. This helps with
reclaiming inaccessible connections.
* help.search(topic) and ??topic matching topics in vignettes with
multiple file name extensions (e.g., *.md.rsp but not *.Rmd)
failed with an error when using options(help_type = "html").
* The X11 device no longer uses the Xlib backing store (PR#16497).
* array(character(), 1) now gives (a 1D array with) NA as has been
documented for a long time as in the other cases of zero-length
array initialization and also compatibly with matrix(character(),
*). As mentioned there, this also fixes PR#17333.
* splineDesign(.., derivs = 4) no longer segfaults.
* fisher.test(*, hybrid=TRUE) now (again) will use the hybrid
method when Cochran's conditions are met, fixing PR#16654.
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com
More information about the R-announce