R 3.2.1 liftoff
pd.mes at cbs.dk
Thu Jun 18 11:04:58 CEST 2015
The build system sent R-3.2.1.tar.gz (codename "World-Famous Astronaut") in orbit this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the md5sums for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = eb97a5cd38acb1cfc6408988bffef765
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = 181370b39076e34f64b842257076cd5c
MD5 (INSTALL) = 3964b9119adeaab9ceb633773fc94aac
MD5 (NEWS) = 6342bc1164e9f8e17713f47cff1910b4
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = 8e2f4d1d5228663ae598a09bf1e2bc6b
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = c2aac8b40f84e08e7f8c9068de9239a3
MD5 (README) = aece1dfbd18c1760128c3787f5456af6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = a59076c1ac7e9bab0f0a38b3f57a3914
MD5 (THANKS) = ba00f6cc68a823e1741cfa6011f40ccb
MD5 (R-3/R-3.2.1.tar.gz) = c2aac8b40f84e08e7f8c9068de9239a3
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 3.2.1:
* utf8ToInt() now checks that its input is valid UTF-8 and returns
NA if it is not.
* install.packages() now allows type = "both" with repos = NULL if
it can infer the type of file.
* nchar(x, *) and nzchar(x) gain a new argument keepNA which
governs how the result for NAs in x is determined. For the R
3.2.x series, the default remains FALSE which is fully back
compatible. From R 3.3.0, the default will change to keepNA = NA
and you are advised to consider this for code portability.
* news() more flexibly extracts dates from package NEWS.Rd files.
* lengths(x) now also works (trivially) for atomic x and hence can
be used more generally as an efficient replacement of sapply(x,
length) and similar.
* The included version of PCRE has been updated to 8.37, a bug-fix
* diag() no longer duplicates a matrix when extracting its
* as.character.srcref() gains an argument to allow characters
corresponding to a range of source references to be extracted.
* acf() and ccf() now guarantee values strictly in [-1,1] (instead
of sometimes very slightly outside). PR#15832.
* as.integer("111111111111") now gives NA (with a warning) as it
does for the corresponding numeric or negative number coercions.
Further, as.integer(M + 0.1) now gives M (instead of NA) when M
is the maximal representable integer.
* On some platforms nchar(x, "c") and nchar(x, "w") would return
values (possibly NA) for inputs which were declared to be UTF-8
but were not, or for invalid strings without a marked encoding in
a multi-byte locale, rather than give an error. Additional
checks have been added to mitigate this.
* apply(a, M, function(u) c(X = ., Y = .)) again has dimnames
containing "X" and "Y" (as in R < 3.2.0).
* (Windows only) In some cases, the --clean option to R CMD INSTALL
could fail. (PR#16178)
* (Windows only) choose.files() would occasionally include
characters from the result of an earlier call in the result of a
later one. (PR#16270)
* A change in RSiteSearch() in R 3.2.0 caused it to submit invalid
* Rscript and command line R silently ignored incomplete statements
at the end of a script; now they are reported as parse errors.
* Parse data for very long strings was not stored. (PR#16354)
* plotNode(), the workhorse of the plot method for "dendrogram"s is
no longer recursive, thanks to Suharto Anggono, and hence also
works for deeply nested dendrograms. (PR#15215)
* The parser could overflow internally when given numbers in
scientific format with extremely large exponents. (PR#16358)
* If the CRAN mirror was not set, install.packages(type = "both")
and related functions could repeatedly query the user for it.
(Part of PR#16362)
* The low-level functions .rowSums() etc. did not check the length
of their argument, so could segfault. (PR#16367)
* The quietly argument of library() is now correctly propagated
* Under some circumstances using the internal PCRE when building R
fron source would cause external libs such as -llzma to be
omitted from the main link.
* The .Primitive default methods of the logic operators, i.e., !, &
and |, now give correct error messages when appropriate, e.g.,
for `&`(TRUE) or `!`(). (PR#16385)
* cummax(x) now correctly propagates NAs also when x is of type
integer and begins with an NA.
* summaryRprof() could fail when the profile contained only two
* HTML vignettes opened using vignette() did not support links into
the rest of the HTML help system. (Links worked properly when
the vignette was opened using browseVignettes() or from within
the help system.)
* arima(*, xreg = .) (for d >= 1) computes estimated variances
based on a the number of effective observations as in R version
3.0.1 and earlier. (PR#16278)
* slotNames(.) is now correct for "signature" objects (mostly used
internally in methods).
* On some systems, the first string comparison after a locale
change would result in NA.
More information about the R-announce