The R Foundation - New board

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 16 15:26:30 CET 2014

Dear R lovers and other useRs,
notably benefactors, donors, supporting members and institutions
of the R foundation
       http://www.r-project.org/foundation/

About 11.7 years ago, in April 2003, the R Foundation was
announced by Fritz Leisch,
  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2003/000385.html
shortly after its foundation, and since then, its board has
lead the foundation during years of phenomenal growth and success.

Our thanks go to the *past* board members

   Presidents:	      	 Robert Gentleman, Ross Ihaka
   Secretary General:    Friedrich Leisch
   Treasurer:	      	 Kurt Hornik
   Member at Large:      John Chambers

In addition, Peter Dalgaard and Martin Mächler had acted as auditors.

After Summer meetings of the R Core and the R Foundation,
we, i.e., Robert Gentleman, on Sep. 15 announced
the new ("ordinary") memberships and the fact that the
membership of the foundation has grown to 29 persons:
    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2014/000577.html

Subsequently (after a careful nomination and voting process),
the election of a new *board* finalized on December 1, and the
new board has started acting since.
It consists of

Presidents:        Duncan Murdoch, Martyn Plummer
Secretary General: Martin Mächler
Treasurer:         Kurt Hornik
Members at Large:  John Chambers
                   Brian Ripley
                   Dirk Eddelbuettel

and the two auditors Peter Dalgaard and Roger Bivand.
This is very soon to be reflected on
    http://www.r-project.org/foundation/board.html

The foundation and its board aim to become considerably more
active in the future.  Details about this will be announced here
in due time.

Thank you all for supporting the R project, a Free Software
(hence Open source) endeavor only made possible by the dedicated
work of many thousands of volunteers and their contributions in several ways,
including to become supporting (or ++) members of the R foundation!

Martin Maechler