new version of the randomForest package

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Aug 28 17:15:34 CEST 2002

I have just uploaded to CRAN the new version of the randomForest package.
Those who had used the previous version will absolutely want to upgrade, as
the new version fixes a few serious bugs (some giving wrong results w/o
warning or error).  This version matches version 3.3 of the classification
code and version 1.0 of the regression code on Prof. Breiman's web site.

The package provides an R interface to Prof. Breiman's code for regression
and classification by the random forest algorithm.  Details about the
algorithm (and the original Fortran code) can be found on

  http://oz.berkeley.edu/users/breiman

New features and bug fixes include:

o  Random forest for regression problems now incorporated into the package.

o  Factor (categorical) predictors are now handled correctly, especially
through the formula interface.  (The previous version wrongly expands
factors into contrasts.)

o  Ordered factor predictors are now correctly handled.

o  For classification problem, there is an new option for the predict method
to calculate proximity measure for the test data.

o  Calls to R's random number generator from Fortran have been made more
portable.  I believe this was causing segmentation faults on some platforms
in the previous version.

o  The Example section of the help page for randomForest now show some of
the extra things that can be done with the randomForest object.

o  The call to the underlying C/Fortran code no longer copy data (i.e.,
.C(..., DUP=FALSE) is used).  This should reduce memory requirement quite a
bit, especially for large data sets.  This should be fairly safe since data
pass to C/Fortran are copies made at the R level anyway.

o  The version number of the package now tracks the version number of Prof.
Breiman's classification code (i.e., currently 3.3).

o  The spelling of my co-author's name has been corrected!

Because of the limited amount of time I was able to spend on this package,
the code are not the most elegant.  I would appreciate any
comments/suggestions/bugs/patches.

Regards,
Andy

Andy I. Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research          Phone: (732) 594-0820
Merck & Co., Inc.              Fax: (732) 594-1565
P.O. Box 2000, RY84-16            Rahway, NJ 07065
mailto:andy_liaw at merck.com

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.