[ESS] Displaying R plots within an Emacs buffer

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rd|@z02 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Mar 24 14:03:53 CET 2024

Wow! This is really nice! Thanks, Stephen and Rodney!!

A few comments:
- I works perfectly for me in two different machines (both running Debian and Emacs 29.2.50)

- Maybe I am not understanding https://github.com/sje30/ess-unigd#adjust-to-size-of-buffer--dynamically-update , but resize of image (on changing frame and window sizes) happens automagically for me.

- The only minor thing is that, for some reason, the svg is shown in Fundamental mode (if I find-file other svgs, they are shown as images directly); I guess it is something with my setup. revert-buffer solves it.

Best,

R.

P.S. FWIW, for a while I've been using a kind of similar thing with browsers that run inside Emacs. First I started using xwidget-webkit-browse-url, but since this recently broke or will be broken soon[1], I then started using EAF (Emacs Application Framework). With a browser one gets the browse history of plots, mentioned in https://github.com/sje30/ess-unigd#browse-history-of-plots . The procedure is similar to what Stephen does: first, in R load library httpgd and launch hgd. Then have xwidget-webkit-browse-url or eaf-open-browser open the URL returned by hgd.

[1]  https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-09/msg02681.html , https://debbugs.gnu.org/db/66/66068.html

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-31