[ESS] Emacs 28.1 Released

Vincent Goulet V|ncent@Gou|et @end|ng |rom @ct@u|@v@|@c@
Fri Apr 8 17:11:21 CEST 2022

Hi,

Thanks Marc (and Richard L through GitLab) for the heads up.

I tried building my Emacs distribution (on macOS) and stumbled on a weird problem: the 'site-lisp' directory within the application (e.g. /Applications/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp) is not included in 'load-path' by default. Since this is where I bundle extensions, they are not recognized by Emacs. Perhaps the issue is upstream with David Caldwell's compilation; I'll have to check. I haven't yet taken the time to check on Windows.

That said, ESS 18.10.2 does not compile with Emacs 28.1. It appears it is time to move forward to the development version of ESS. Those, like me, who prefer the good ol' stable ESS 18.10 are otherwise stuck on Emacs 27.x. ;-)

Over the past few years, Emacs has moved consistently towards the ELPA package management system. Pretty much anyone able to use Emacs should now be able to install extensions easily. Org has deprecated the .zip distribution. Same for ESS de facto, at least currently. This leads me to question whether maintaining my distribution remains that much useful. Any thoughts?

(For anyone not familiar, my Emacs distributions for macOS and Windows are stock GNU Emacs with ESS, AUCTeX, Org and some very minor configuration; see https://vigou3.gitlab.io/emacs-modified-macos; https://vigou3.gitlab.io/emacs-modified-windows.)

Best,

v.

Vincent Goulet
Professeur titulaire