[ESS] unexpected behavior for Emacs-27.1-1-modified-1 for two MacBooks.

Tue Jan 26 20:41:57 CET 2021

On 26 January 2021 at 18:49, Richard M. Heiberger via ESS-help wrote:
| I. Both machines report in *Messages*
|    Package cl is deprecated

I have that too on the 27.1 build I use on Ubuntu (based on the current
Debian source package I rebuilt).

I'd love to get rid of that.

| II. When I search find-dired in
| /Applications.Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp with the command
| I have been using for many years
|     -name \*.el -exec grep 'cl-' {} ";"

That appears to work for (with a slightly modded search over the Rcpp sources
grepping for 'include' in \*.cpp files).

But that is a poor substitute to what I had been using here many years: M-x ag
from https://github.com/Wilfred/ag.el which I can (very strongly) recommend;
you also need the ag binary from https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher
(and I always the Ubuntu packaging for both).

I am otherwise very happy with 27.1.  Rendering and all that feels snappier,
(optional) vterm support is marvelous.  I had issued with the VM mode for
mail but that was a bug and the Debian maintainer kindly fixed it.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org