[ESS] unexpected behavior for Emacs-27.1-1-modified-1 for two MacBooks.

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Tue Jan 26 19:49:57 CET 2021

I just downloaded Emacs-27.1-1-modified-1 for two MacBooks.
I have been using the previous 25.1.1 successfully on both machines.
1. My new MacBook Air M1, running Big Sur
2. My old MacBook Air mid 2012, running Catalina (it is too old for Big Sur)

I have three unexpected behaviors, and they are not identical on the two machines.
Has anyone seen these before?  Do you have idea about what is happening?

Thank you,
Rich

I. Both machines report in *Messages*
   Package cl is deprecated

II. When I search find-dired in
/Applications.Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp with the command
I have been using for many years
    -name \*.el -exec grep 'cl-' {} ";"
new machine:
  searches normally with instances found in each followed by the
  file's dired information.  Then before stopping, it sorts all
  instances together, followed by all dired entries together.
  Essentialy useless.
old machine:
  same as above

On both machines, when I pick one of my own directories and do a similar search,
old machine:
  behaves normally but reports:
  error in process sentinel: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil
new machine:
  did the useless re-sort as described above.

ispell behaves differently (previous ispell, not using the hunspell additional).
old machine:
  it works normally
new machine:
  ispell-check-version: /usr/local/bin/aspell exited with signal Illegal instruction: 4