[ESS] ESS error: Autoloading failed to define function compilation--ensure-parse

Dorazio, Robert bob_dor@z|o @end|ng |rom u@g@@gov
Fri Oct 2 20:57:23 CEST 2015

ESS 24 is not available in the Ubuntu 12.04 repository;   therefore, to
solve my problem, I:

1. upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04
2. deleted Emacs 23 and ESS 23
3. installed ESS 24.3, which was available in the repository for Ubuntu
14.04

Now Emacs + ESS + R works as it did before -- actually better!!

Many thanks for all your help!!

Robert M. Dorazio
Wetland and Aquatic Research Center
U.S. Geological Survey