[ESS] colour Errors

Andreas Leha @ndre@@@|eh@ @end|ng |rom med@un|-goett|ngen@de
Fri Nov 13 21:38:08 CET 2015

Hi all,

"Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh using temple.edu> writes:
> This looks like a language issue.
> In English, French, and Spanish the words "Error in" are in red.
> In German the words "Fehler in" are in default color.
>
>> 3+"b"
> Error in 3 + "b" : non-numeric argument to binary operator
>> Sys.getenv("LANG")
> [1] ""
>> Sys.setenv("LANG"="DE")
>> Sys.getenv("LANG")
> [1] "DE"
>> 3+"b"
> Fehler in 3 + "b" : nicht-numerisches Argument f"ur bin"aren Operator
>> Sys.setenv("LANG"="FR")
>> Sys.getenv("LANG")
> [1] "FR"
>> 3+"b"
> Error in 3 + "b" : argument non num'erique pour un op'erateur binaire
>> Sys.setenv("LANG"="ES")
>> Sys.getenv("LANG")
> [1] "ES"
>> 3+"b"
> Error in 3 + "b" : argumento no-num'erico para operador binario
>> Sys.setenv("LANG"="")
>> 3+"b"
> Error in 3 + "b" : non-numeric argument to binary operator
>>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Andreas Leha <
> andreas.leha using med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to make Errors in the *R* buffer stand out prominently,
>> e.g. coloured in red?
>>
>> After I two times missed an error when rerunning my script today, this
>> would really be helpful for me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas

Thank you all for looking into this.  It turns out, that the problem is
with ess getting confused about quotes in remote sessions regularly.  In
the confused state everything outside of "quoted stuff" is regarded
quoted stuff and, hence, not highlighted at all.

I have now chosen a more prominent colour for my error face and will
bother more often to put an a lonely " to get ess out of its confusion.

Thanks again,
Andreas

PS: I think the language issue is worth to correct, although I do not
see it as my locale is set so that I see English messages only.