[ESS] ESS unable to find R on Linux when emacs started by opening a .R file

Stephen Eglen S@J@Eg|en @end|ng |rom d@mtp@c@m@@c@uk
Wed Jul 15 21:42:26 CEST 2015

hi Gavin,

> If I locate the .R file I want to edit using the file manager (Files in
> Gnome 3) and open it from there with emacs, the exec-path contains
> just:

this bit sounds odd.  If you are starting Emacs from gnome, is it
starting a fresh instance of Emacs, or using emacsclient to start a new
window/frame within your current Emacs?

What about if you open a regular .txt file using the same approach
(e.g. file manager)?  What does exec-path look like then?

Stephen