[ESS] ESS unable to find R on Linux when emacs started by opening a .R file

Gavin Simpson uc|@g|@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 15 21:38:45 CEST 2015

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Before visiting a file:

("/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin" "/usr/lib64/ccache" "/usr/local/bin"
"/usr/local/sbin" "/usr/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/bin" "/sbin"
"/home/gavin/.local/bin" "/home/gavin/bin"
"/usr/libexec/emacs/24.5/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")

Which contains my ~/bin.

After visiting a .R file (without closing Emacs from above) M-x R works and
the value of exec-path is the same as I report above.

If I locate the .R file I want to edit using the file manager (Files in
Gnome 3) and open it from there with emacs, the exec-path contains just:

("/usr/local/bin" "/usr/local/sbin" "/usr/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/bin" "/sbin"
"/usr/libexec/emacs/24.5/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")

which is clearly missing my local paths.

I'm not aware of having fiddled with anything anywhere that might have lead
to this state of affairs?

Thanks again,

Gavin

--