[ESS] emacsclient: ess toolbar icons disappear when server started as daemon

Sparapani, Rodney r@p@r@p@ @end|ng |rom mcw@edu
Wed Jan 21 15:18:13 CET 2015

> Hi
>
> I am having some trouble with ess toolbar icons disappearing when I use
> emacsclient as opposed to emacs under gnome 3.14?/fedora 21/emacs 21.4
> (stable) or emacs 24.4.51 (devel)/ ess 14.1x (devel).

Hi Peter:

I have a very similar setup:  Fedora 20 and Emacs 24.3.1.  However, note,
we do not support the development version of emacs; see
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Requirements

> For instance,
>
> $ emacs read.R & works fine in that ESS toolbar icons present
>
> And so does starting an emacs server from a running emacs with server-start
> and then using emacsclient

Works for me.

> However if emacs is started in a bash script with --daemon option (named or
> unnamed) then the ESS menu items don't appear on toolbar when emacsclient
> is used. Alternatively,

Honestly, I have never gotten daemon to work.  With modern X accelerators
like x2go and other nxclient variants that is the way I recommend doing things.

> $ emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c read.R  and other variants such as
> starting the server daemon with say
> $ emacs --daemon=test1
> $ emacs -s test1 -c read.R
> also does not produce ESS menu items
>
> The ESS menus are there so things are relatively easy but can anyone
> suggest how I can debug this to track down the problem of disappearing
> toolbar items

I would stick to released versions of emacs and emacsclient.  If you really
want to debug unreleased versions, then you are on your own.

Rodney