[ESS] unable to start device X11

Jonathan Michaels jonmichaels1 at outlook.com
Wed Sep 10 00:28:25 CEST 2014

Hello:
I cannot execute any type of plotting command in my new ESS set up.  I am including full details following my problem description.
Whenever I try to execute any plotting feature from within Emacs via ESS:
plot(x)hist(x)...
I receive the following error:
Error in .External2(C_X11, d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize,  :   unable to start device X11In addition: Warning message:In (function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :  unable to open connection to X11 display ''
Now, when I open the R app directly, all plotting and graphics functions work fine.
Macbook pro running OS X 10.9.4R 3.1.1XQuartz 2.7.7ESS 13.09-1Emacs 24.3
Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do in order to execute graphics and plotting functionality within ESS?