[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Sep 4 19:05:28 CEST 2014

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 12:43 -0400, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> I have set it up this way on classroom and lab networks for years and
> never had the problems Rodney reports.  Actually in the labs I think I
> have emacs and cygwin in
> the "c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs"  "c:/Program Files (x86)/cygwin".
> I can't check now as I am not on campus.
>
> The way the lab works here is that they give me admin privileges for
> the purpose
> of installing emacs, miktek, cygwin, and R.  When the master machine
> is cloned, the admin profile is copied to the standard user profile.

Hi Rich:

But...  Most people don't install things via cloning.  We usually
install things as Administrator in Program Files and then let the
users log in and go.  This all works in Windows XP.  It does NOT in
Windows 7/8 as I can tell you from personal experience.  It was so
cathartic that we switched from PCs running Windows to thin clients
and PCs running Linux.  But, I digress.

Rodney