[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:43:24 CEST 2014

On my Windows machines (7 and 8) I have R inside "c:/Program Files/R"
and NTemacs
and cygwin outside in "c:/emacs" and "c:/cygwin".  ESS works out of
the box for me.
I have set it up this way on classroom and lab networks for years and
never had the
problems Rodney reports.  Actually in the labs I think I have emacs
and cygwin in
the "c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs"  "c:/Program Files (x86)/cygwin".
I can't check
now as I am not on campus.

The way the lab works here is that they give me admin privileges for the purpose
of installing emacs, miktek, cygwin, and R.  When the master machine
is cloned, the admin profile is copied to the standard user profile.

I personally switched to Macintosh two years ago.  I still live in a
Windows-oriented
university.   For the specific example of duplicating
w32-short-file-name, I still think
a tiny DOS script run from cygwin emacs should be able to get MSDOS to
do the dir/x
and construct the 8.3 names that way.

another option, if an equivalent for w32-short-file-name can't be
found or constructed,
is put some otherwise redundant quotation marks around the
long-file-names (with an emacs function carrying the name w32-short-file-name)
and work with them (assuming that will work).