[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Thu Sep 4 17:22:39 CEST 2014

Hi Rodney,

"Sparapani, Rodney" wrote:
>> Now, I saw the light ;-) and am moving all such scripts to
>> R-only.
>>
>> I could use the w32 version of R, and the Cygwin shell for eventual
>> add-ons to my script (such as sending an email or so). I could also use
>> the w32 version of Emacs, here at my desk, and there when testing and
>> deploying. But these are programs needed to be deployed at the client
>> site as well, and I do have to limit such requirements.
>
> We are getting a bit away from ESS here so I'm going to stop right
> after this post ;o)

I don't really think we go away of ESS, except if...

> I sympathize with your plight.  However, I don't
> think this will work with Windows 7 or 8.  We tried to do exactly the
> same thing with Cygwin/ESS/MikTeX/etc. a few years ago.  However, with
> Windows 7/8, the configuration files are over-written when you switch
> users!  There was a long and very bitter thread about this several
> years ago here on ESS-help.  So, we literally gave up.  I personally
> no longer support Windows in any fashion (except my mother's computer
> and she knows how I feel too ;o)  With Windows XP, this would have
> all worked.  So, if you went back in time to when Cygwin was popular,
> everything would be fine.  Today, I only use
> Windows under VirtualBox when I have to use Windows-only software
> like MS Office or iTunes.  I've also been using WINE.  But, I digress.

... we say that ESS is not supported (anymore) on Cygwin Emacs.

I can hear that last sentence, if that's so. I was simply reporting
problems here because I was thinking that supporting R on Cygwin Emacs
was heartily welcomed.

If I now am aware that it's a dead end, OK, I'll move back to a pure
Windows solution, then.

Best regards,
  Seb

--