[ESS] R in Cygwin Emacs

Sparapani, Rodney rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Sep 4 15:56:16 CEST 2014

> Now, I saw the light ;-) and am moving all such scripts to
> R-only.
>
> I could use the w32 version of R, and the Cygwin shell for eventual
> add-ons to my script (such as sending an email or so). I could also use
> the w32 version of Emacs, here at my desk, and there when testing and
> deploying. But these are programs needed to be deployed at the client
> site as well, and I do have to limit such requirements.

Hi Seb:

We are getting a bit away from ESS here so I'm going to stop right
after this post ;o)  I sympathize with your plight.  However, I don't
think this will work with Windows 7 or 8.  We tried to do exactly the
same thing with Cygwin/ESS/MikTeX/etc. a few years ago.  However, with
Windows 7/8, the configuration files are over-written when you switch
users!  There was a long and very bitter thread about this several
years ago here on ESS-help.  So, we literally gave up.  I personally
no longer support Windows in any fashion (except my mother's computer
and she knows how I feel too ;o)  With Windows XP, this would have
all worked.  So, if you went back in time to when Cygwin was popular,
everything would be fine.  Today, I only use
Windows under VirtualBox when I have to use Windows-only software
like MS Office or iTunes.  I've also been using WINE.  But, I digress.

Rodney