[ESS] Setting paths to R versions in different directories

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 18 17:59:36 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Theoretically, it should be enough to have a sim-link of your R binaries
> into your bin path. This seems to work very well for
> Martin. Unfortunately it never worked for me. I have multiple R
> installed and simlinked but I don't see any of them.

I am astonished.. that it doesn't work for you neither, Vitalie.
Are the R versions found in a *shell* buffer inside Emacs?

What OS are we talking about

> I had in plan to check what is going on for ages and never got down to
> it as it never bothered me that much.
>
> As a quick workaround you can have:
>
>    (defun R-x.y.z ()
>      (interactive)
>      (let ((inferior-R-program-name "path/to/xyz/R"))
>        (R)))

Indeed, that used to be my "workaround" i.e., solution, many years
ago, before we had all the auto detection.
Still very strange that it fails for you..
and of course it would phantastic if Vitalie could diagnose the
problem for himself, as the solution would benefit
quite a few people I'm sure.

Martin