[ESS] Error loading R mode

Lucas Holland hollandlucas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:34:13 CEST 2014

Hello,

I’ve just installed the latest version of ESS from github (14.05, the same problem occurs with the version currently available for download on the website).

However when I try to switch into R mode via M-x R-mode I get an arrow and it seems to go into S mode instead. Here’s the error I get:

ess-bp-recreate-all: Invalid function: with-silent-modifications

C-h f with-silent-modifications gives me

with-silent-modifications is a Lisp macro in `subr.el'.

and some description text.

I’m running the following Emacs version:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org

I’ve seen this error being asked about before but in that case using the latest ess version seems to have fixed it whereas that’s not the case for me.

Thanks!