[ESS] fighting indentation in SAS mode

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Nov 5 20:48:02 CET 2013

The indentation that ESS seems to want to impose for SAS seems bizarre:
it's starting everything way over on the page.  I'm generally not even
hitting tab, just return.

I do not have any ess-sas setting in my startup file and am running ESS
13.09-1 from git
commit cdf41896478be5142f4eb9e85a878c159bf367b3
Merge: 509d1d7 1ab357f

Here's my .sas file:
/*  Generate basic samples for Missing at Random study.
    The intercept is correlated with a covariate

    File: mar-gen.sas
    Author: Ross Boylan
    Created: 2013-11-05

*/

/*  SIM0 = first simulation desired
    SIM1 = last simulation desired
    I = # of clusters
    J = # observations/cluster
    SEED = random seed
        */
                    /* this is what happens if I hit return
                    and here is the next line.
                    */

%macro gen(SEED, SIM0, SIM1, I, J, BETA0, BETAA, BETAT, BETAI, SIGMA0, SIGMA1, SIGMA12);

                    %mend gen;

Generally, anything left of "/* this is what happens if I hit return" is
only there because I hit backspace repeatedly.

Is this the intended behavior?  What can I do about it?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan