[ESS] Introducing Polymode

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Fri Mar 29 01:32:16 CET 2013

Le 03/28/2013 08:11 PM, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> You are too much ahead of time.

Eheh, first time anyone tells me this. I have to admit it kind of feels good :)

> Eieio namespace cleanup happened
> recently in emacs sources, and object-name was substituted with
> eieio-object-name. The guys probably forgot to define an alias, or more
> likely they created an eieio-compat.el (or similar) package. I still
> have to check that out, but not in the next 2-3 days. You can look for
> it yourself of course, and if they created a compat package, just
> require it. There was a thread on that in february on emacs-devel.

Well it seems that I'm not too much ahead of Emacs knowledge, though. I
already had hard time understanding your message. But if you mean this
thread [1], it's even worse there, being mostly technical jargon -- and I
thank them to keep this on emacs-devel! In the end, I'm not quite sure what
to do with it (a eieio-custom.el is mentioned, but requiring it did not
really improve the situation). However, I can for sure wait a couple of
days or more, so please take as much time as needed to dig into this.

And just for the record, I'm using Emacs Snapshot from the Naquadah
repository [2], and I'm sure I'm not the only one Debian user doing this.
However,

Thanks for your answer!
Mathieu.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-02/msg00199.html

[2] http://emacs.naquadah.org/

> [...]
>
>    > If I now visit a .Rmd file, I get this after startup:
>
>    > Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled (void-variable
>    > object-name)
>    > Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 522) signaled (void-variable
>    > object-name)
>
>    > And from time to time if I navigate in the file:
>
>    > polymode error: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name
>
>    > I don't know if this is useful, but Emacs indicates (Markdown Rmd vl Wrap), as
>    > compared to (Markdown vl Wrap) without Polymode. If I try a polymode function
>    > (such as M-n C-n), I get this:
>
>    > equal: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name
>    > polymode error: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name
>
>    > Appart of that, not much happened compared to regular Markdown mode. Shouldn't
>    > it load R (minor) mode in R code chunks? I also tried to remove everything from
>    > my .emacs, and use only the few lines above, with the exact same result. Am I
>    > missing anything here?
>
>    > Thanks again a lot for your work on this!
>    > Mathieu.
>
>    > Le 03/26/2013 02:26 PM, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :
>    >>
>    >> Hi All,
>    >>
>    >> I would like to announce a development version of new multi-major-mode
>    >> called polymode. Source, screenshots and installation instructions are
>    >> here:
>    >>
>    >> https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode>
>    >>
>    >> There is still some work to be done as it is not very stable as yet. I
>    >> have just realized that I won't be able to pursue very active
>    >> development for the weeks to come, so I decided to announce it right
>    >> away. This includes some indentation issues and unstable font-lock in
>    >> C++ submodes. C++R seems to work fine.
>    >>
>    >> Currently it has builtin supports for Rnw, Rmd, Rhtml, Rbrew, Rcpp, cppR
>    >> and "live" R examples in Rd and ess-help buffers. Adding new polymodes
>    >> is literally about 25 lines of declarations. See "modes" directory and
>    >> particularly poly-R.el. Also look in test directory for test
>    >> examples. The interface is not fully settled as yet and thus, not
>    >> documented.
>    >>
>    >> There is also a default association with md extension. This basically
>    >> means that as long as you have a proper declaration ```foo, and foo-mode
>    >> function exists the chunk will be initialized with that mode.
>    >>
>    >> It would be really nice if enthusiastic people can try it out and report
>    >> bugs/comments/suggestions, either directly to me, or preferably on the
>    >> github bug tracker. But please read the words warning first;)
>    >>
>    >> Hopefully it will be useful to some people even at this stage.

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard