[ESS] ess-tracebug

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 09:28:27 CET 2013

Hi Timothy,

Incidentally, tracebug is on by default in devevlopment version and will
be probably on from ess 13.03. There are some glitches still to solve
though.

Tracebug (and ess-developer) keys are now on dev-map C-c C-t (also in
12.09-2). You can still use ess-tracebug-prefix if you wish so.

  >> "Timothy W. Hilton" <hilton at unm.edu>
  >> on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:17:26 -0700 wrote:

  > Hello,
  > I'm trying to integrate ess-tracebug into my ess workflow.  Using ess
  > 12.09-2 [rev. 5395 (2013-01-10)], ess-tracebug is not behaving quite
  > like the documentation at
  > http://code.google.com/p/ess-tracebug/wiki/GettingStarted.

  > I realize ess-tracebug has been folded into ess since that documentation
  > was posted; is there more recent documentation I should be looking at?

  > I activate ess-tracebug from my .emacs like this:

  > (load "/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site")
  > (setq ess-use-tracebug t)
  > (add-hook 'ess-post-run-hook 'ess-tracebug t)
  > (setq ess-tracebug-prefix "\M-t" )

  > Sourcing the test.R file linked from the wiki above produces errors as
  > expected, but ess does not highlight the source line as depicted in the
  > screenshot.

I have just checked. It works fine for me. What is the string that is
printed for you? It should be something like:

+ Error in source(file = "/home/vitoshka/test.R") (from #1) :
  /home/vitoshka/test.R:6:15: unexpected ','
5: {
6:     ret.x <- x,
                ^

Sometimes R does not report source locations. There is nothing that we
can do about it. There could also happen that R reports an error
location but tracebug doesn't' recognize it. Then it is a bug and you
should report definitely report it.

  > In addition, only a subset of the ess functions shown here seem to
  > be available: http://code.google.com/p/ess-tracebug/#Keys

  > For example, ess-dbg-source-current-file is not available (I wondered if
  > I needed to source my code that way to properly get ess-tracebug going).

Sorry, it is just an old documentation. This function was removed because
it duplicated with the standard ess-load-file (C-c C-l). Just use C-c
C-l for sourcing files.

    Vitalie