[ESS] ESS AUCTeX RefTeX Polymode Setup

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 11:17:21 CEST 2013

Hi Frank and Marc,

(Disregard if this is blatantly obvious).

At least in Debian (I guess Ubuntu too), I do not need to explicitly load ESS
using the packaged ESS (which is at v. 13.05). In fact, if I start Emacs (any
one of them: Emacs 23, Emacs 24, or Emacs snapshot) and look at the *Messages*
buffer I see

So it might be that Frank does not need to actually load ESS explicitly, and
thus if he loads polymode from his .emacs, polymode does get loaded *after* ESS.

Best,

R.

marc_schwartz at me.com writes:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Interesting.
>
> I have the following in my ~/.emacs:
>
>   (load "/PATH/TO/ess-13.05/lisp/ess-site")
>
> since I download and untar to a local folder for each version.
>
> (require 'ess-site) is an alternative invocation if ESS is in a default location or you have added the path to Emacs.
>
> ESS does not load for me without it, if there were some other default invocation someplace.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
>

> On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Frank Harrell <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the note Marc.   I can't see in my .emacs where I actually initiate ESS.  I see:
>>
>> '(ess-R-font-lock-keywords (quote ((ess-R-fl-keyword:modifiers . t) (ess-R-fl-keyword:fun-defs . t) (ess-R-fl-keyword:keywords . t) (ess-R-fl-keyword:assign-ops . t) (ess-R-fl-keyword:constants . t) (ess-fl-keyword:fun-calls . t) (ess-fl-keyword:numbers . t) (ess-fl-keyword:operators . t) (ess-fl-keyword:delimiters . t) (ess-fl-keyword:= . t) (ess-R-fl-keyword:F&T . t))))
>> (setq ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil)
>> (setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)
>> (setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)
>> (setq inferior-R-args "--no-restore --no-save")
>> (setq ess-default-style 'DEFAULT) ; site-start uses C++ which indents 4
>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.s\\'" . R-mode))
>>
>> which all occurs before the setq load-path polymode.
>>
>> I second the thanks to Vitalie for developing polymode.  He is very actively working on it.
>>
>> Frank

>>> Frank,
>>>
>>> Thanks for this.
>>>
>>> One quick note. Be sure to load polymode *after* ESS. I was confused in getting noweb mode rather than polymode and it finally dawned on me (after additional caffeine) that ESS was loading after polymode in my ~/.emacs, hence overriding it.
>>>
>>> Thanks to Vitalie for providing polymode.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Marc Schwartz
>>>

>> --
>> Frank E Harrell Jr Professor and Chairman      School of Medicine
>>                   Department of Biostatistics Vanderbilt University

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25
Facultad de Medicina
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid