[ESS] Telling ess where to look for R

Oliver Jones ojones at wiwi.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 21 17:48:14 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

I just found out how to tell ess where to look for R under Windows XP.
Maybe other have similar problems and this helps...
Maybe I found a bug?

Situation:
Windows XP; Emacs 24.2.1; ESS version 12.09-2; R-2.10.1 properly installed and two more recent
versions of R in my folder "C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/username/Eigene Dateien"

M-x customize-variable RET ess-directory-containing-R RET

and setting it to "C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/username/Eigene Dateien" doesn't help, i.e.
ess always starts the old (but properly installed) R-2.10.1.

One has to change the inferior-R-program-name, i.e.

M-x customize-variable RET inferior-R-program-name RET

and setting that one to "C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/username/Eigene Dateien".

So for what do we need/use the variable ess-directory-containing-R?

Best
Oliver
Universität Bielefeld
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften