[ESS] ESS, R, speedbar: suggestion for documentation

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 12:15:08 CEST 2013

Dear All,

I wonder if it would make sense to explicitly say in the documentation how
to make speedbar work nicely with R. I spent sometime last night trying to
remember how to do it, but (my use of) google was not particularly useful,
and I could not find anything in the ESS documentation or mailing lists.
Maybe something along the lines

" To make speedbar show an R buffer's functions, variables, etc, you need
to add R to the set of supported extensions; for instance, add to your
.emacs

(speedbar-add-supported-extension ".R")

By default, speedbar will split the list of functions into groups if there
are more than 10. If you do not like this behavior, set the variable
speedbar-tag-regroup-maximum-length to a larger number.

These settings will also work with sr-speedbar
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SrSpeedbar), a mode to make speedbar show
in the current frame.

"

Best,