[ESS] ESS and R 3.0.0

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 4 09:54:08 CEST 2013

    FM> Hello,
    FM> just installed R 3.0.0 and when I M-x R in emacs, I have the following
    FM> situation:

    FM> - It starts in a new buffer

    FM> - Prompt starts as

    FM> + + . + + . + >

yes, that's the current default behavior of the *UNRELEASED* development
version of ESS

    FM> - *Messages* says:

    FM> ess-error: ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.
    FM> Fontifying *R*... (regexps....................)
    FM> ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.

{I do see the same problem: as ESS developer I do work with the
 unreleased development version; but I would rarely recommend
 that version for the public}

    FM> - *ESS* says

    FM> (ess-multi 1):  start-args=--no-readline
    FM> Making Process...Buf *R*, :Proc R, :Prog R
    FM> :Args= --no-readline
    FM> Start File=nil
    FM> (ess-multi 2): waiting for process to start (before hook)

    FM> None of these seems serious problems, as I can use R/ESS in the usual
    FM> way. I'm just reporting it, as this is the development version of ESS.

    FM> Emacs 23.4.1
    FM> ESS 13.03 (cloned and updated from GitHub)

this is problematic:  ESS 13.03	is *NOT* released, and what you
get there is a snapshot of our development version which may or
may not work correctly.

    FM> R 3.0.0

works fine, and is absolutely unrelated to the "problems" you
report above.

Martin