[ESS] [Gretl-devel] Gretl mode for ESS

Cottrell, Allin cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Oct 2 18:36:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Help system is good. It will be very easy to integrate with ESS
> help. Argument completion and eldoc are also pretty straightforward as
> their help pages are well structured and easy to scrap (though it would
> be good to have an internal function to retrieve arguments and command
> options directly).

Thanks for looking into adding gretl support in ESS, this would be very
nice to have. A couple of things to note about the gretl sources
( http://gretl.cvs.sourceforge.net/gretl/gretl/ ):

* Our current, rather simple, emacs support file is auto-generated, using
gui2/mklang.c (which also auto-generates our gtksourceview support
file). This (mklang) exploits some hooks to get a listing of options for
gretl commands -- though a listing of arguments is not available at
this point.

* The doc/commands directory contains a C file validate.c which we
use to check the help file: it also exploits special hooks into the gretl
library.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics