[ESS] some recent bugs/annoyances

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 12 22:23:20 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM,  <gerald.jean at dgag.ca> wrote:

> The value of "ess-dialect" is:
>
> ess-dialect is a variable defined in `ess-custom.el'.
> Its value is "S+6"
>
> And no, it doesn't auto start.  I get the following in the minibuffer and
> the *Messages" buffer.
>
> Type C-h m for help on ESS version 12.09
> apply: Searching for program: aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type,
> Splus8
>
> As I said, to start S+ from the command line on THIS machine it is "Splus".
> In my .emacs I have the following:
>
> (custom-set-variables  ;; Should allow starting different versions of S+
>  '(ess-SHOME-versions (quote("/actuaria/splus_app8.2/cmd"))))
> (setq ess-s-versions-list
>       '(("Splus82" "Splus")
>         ("Splus82-j" "Splus" "-j")
>         ("Splus82-jh" "Splus" "-j -headless")
> ))
>
> I mostly use, from ess.
>
> M-x Splus82-j, this activates java for java.graph.
>
> Note that I much prefer not having it auto-start than having to kill R and
> than restart it, or even having S+ starts with the wrong options!!!  A
> minibuffer message telling me I forgot to start a process is fine with
> me!!!

Well, I understand that, but the 99% of S-language users who use R
would really want an autostart
in many circumstances where the dialect is clearly R.

So I like Vitalie's approach of trying to determine the autostart
option from the ess-dialect / ess-language, and in the case of
ess-language = "S", the ess-dialect.

We could allow to make this configurable, i.e. have a possibility to
set the autostart program to nil
for a given dialect.
Martin