[ESS] some recent bugs/annoyances

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:58:52 CET 2012

  >> Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael at gene.com>
  >> on Fri, 9 Nov 2012 05:23:07 -0800 wrote:

  ML> 1) ess-eval-line-and-step function no longer works on arbitrary buffers
  ML> like it did before. It yields a "ess-dialect is nil" error.

Yes, this is a new side effect of making ESS more reliable for multiple
processes interface.

  ML> I'm wonder if it wouldn't be possible, whenever a nil ess-dialect
  ML> is encountered, to have it bring up the session menu for assigning
  ML> the dialect to the buffer? One place where this comes up is
  ML> org-mode buffers.

This is a very good idea. I will try to add this feature these days.

In ESS buffers this problem should never occur. If it does, it is a bug.

For other modes, such as org-mode a permanent solution for you would be
to (setq ess-dialect "R") in org-mode-hook.

  ML> 2) when using an ess session through M-x shell and ess-remote, sending
  ML> multi-line code blocks, e.g. with ess-eval-region, only gets to the second
  ML> line, so

  ML> f <- function(x) {
  ML> }

  ML> would end up frozen at:
  >> f <- function(x) {
  ML> +

I will look into this. It seems that ess-remote is not keeping up with
recent changes.

    Thanks,
    Vitalie